Submitted by shaunakanel on June 16, 2009 - 18:03
These publications are a collections of introductory reading material meant to educate those interested in learning more about ontologies in general, and biomedical ontologies specifically.
- Biomedical Ontologies in Action: Role in Knowledge Management, Data Integration and Decision Support
Bodenreider, O. Yearb Med Inform. 2008; 67–79. PMCID: PMC2592252
- Typical examples of biomedical ontologies in action.
- Towards a Reference Terminology for Ontology Research and Development in the Biomedical Domain
Smith, B, Kusnierczyk, W, Schober, D, Ceusters, W. Proceedings of KR-MED 2006 57-65.
- Introductory material on the meanings of basic ontology terms.
- Biomedical Ontologies: A Functional Perspective
Rubin, D, Shah, N, Noy, N. Briefings in Bioinformatics. 2008 9(1):75-90; doi:10.1093/bib/bbm05.
- Overview of biomedical ontology in practical terms.
- The National Center for Biomedical Ontology: Advancing Biomedicine through Structured Organization of Scientific Knowledge
Rubin, DL, Noy, NF, Richter, JD, Smith, B, Storey, MA, Solbrig, H, Chute, CG, Sim, I, Ashburner, M, Westerfield, M, Misra, S, Mungall, CJ, Lewis, SE, Musen MA. OMICS: A Journal of Integrative Biology. 2006 10(2): 185-198.
- A publication about the NCBO.
- Ontology Development 101: A Guide to Creating Your First Ontology
Noy, NF and McGuinness, DL. 2001.
- General ontology development guidelines, helpful hints, etc. (see http://protege.stanford.edu/publications/ontology_development/ontology101.html for more information).