Infectious Disease Ontology
The upcoming Infectious Disease Ontology Workshop (see link below under "Meetings") is intended to be both a training workshop for participants and a forum through which we can establish a community for development, maintenance, and use of the Infectious Disease Ontology (IDO). The current agenda for the workshop can be viewed here.
In preparation for the workshop, we have prepared a draft infectious disease ontology and hope that workshop attendees will take time to comment on the ontology in advance of the workshop using the discussion page of this wiki. The ontology can be viewed here.
Recommended Background Reading
- http://www.ifomis.uni-saarland.de/projects/bfo/manual/: Comprehensive introduction to ontology in general and the Basic Formal Ontology specifically
- Relations_in_Biomedical_Ontologies.pdf: Introduction to the Relations Ontology, describes the formulation of logic-based relations for OBO foundry ontologies
- Relations_in_anatomical_ontologies_sa.pdf: explanation of the necessity of logic-based relations for automatic reasoning over ontologies
- Ontology Development for Biological Systems: immunology: http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/23/7/913: Revisions to GO BP relevant to immunology
- Download Protege OWL: http://protege.stanford.edu/download/download.html
- Download Pellet (a reasoner for OWL): http://pellet.owldl.com/
- The Protege developers have created a very helpful, short guide to installing Pellet and making sure that Pellet is running in conjunction with Protege OWL: http://protege.stanford.edu/shortcourse/protege/200703/prepare.html
September 19-20, 2007
September 21, 2007