Indexing biomedical resources with ontology concepts thanks to semantic annotations
Presentation & Demonstration
The range of publicly available biomedical data is enormous and is expanding fast. This expansion means that researchers now face a hurdle to extracting the data they need from the large numbers of data that are available. Biomedical researchers have turned to ontologies and terminologies to structure and annotate their data with ontology concepts for better search and retrieval.
Using the annotation workflow of the Annotator_Web_service NCBO has built an biomedical resources index in which biomedical data is indexed by ontology concepts. The index allows a user to search for biomedical data based on ontology concepts. The NCBO Resource Index is directly queriable in the [BioPortal] ontology repository: when a user browses a given concept, he has access (link) to the list of resource elements that have been annotated with this concept. A user can also search for resources direclty using the 'All resources' tab.
In the OBR index, we have processed the textual metadata of elements from several biomedical resources such as: ArrayExpress, Clinical Trials.gov, GoldMiner, Gene Expression Omnibus (GEO) and others. The annotations in the index keeps track of the structures of elements that have been annotated i.e., from which part of the element (e.g., title, description) an annotation has been produced. This information is used to score annotations.
Please try the [NCBO Biomedical Resource Index in BioPortal http://bioportal.bioontology.org/all_resources].
- For questions or feature requests, contact Support
Documentation & References
- Please refer to:
- Clement Jonquet, Mark A. Musen and Nigam H. Shah, A System for Ontology-Based Annotation of Biomedical Data, In A. Bairoch, S. Cohen-Boulakia and C. Froidevaux (eds): International Workshop on Data Integration in The Life Sciences 2008, DILS'08, Vol. 5109, Lecture Notes in BioInformatics, p.144-152, Springer-Verlag, June 2008, Evry, France. conference's web site pdf - 431Kb
- Processing_OBR_Resources - Notes on resources being processed - Developers only.
- Populating_OBS_database - Notes on the population of the OBS DB used in the annotation workflow - Developers only.
- Corresponding Gforge project - Developers only.
Versions (prototypes & releases)
- February 2009 - New prototype release (v1.2). API: http://obs.bioontology.org/obr/OBR_v1.2_rest.html
- March 2008 - First prototype (v1 and v1.1) API: http://ncbolabs-dev2.stanford.edu:8080/Ontrez_v1_API/ - not maintained anymore, please do not use.
- December 2008 - API specification for the new prototype (v1.2) - not maintained anymore, please do not use.
Collaboration & Acknowledgment
- The annotation workflow used to create the NCBO Biomedical Resource Index uses Mgrep in the concept recognition step. We acknowledge the assistance of Manhong Dai and Fan Meng from the National Center for Integrative Biomedical Informatics (NCIBI).