Welcome to The National Center for Biomedical Ontology site (the "Site").
The ontologies, terminologies, and other resources provided by the National Center for Biomedical Ontology may be downloaded in whole or in part and used provided that the end user has obtained the appropriate licenses required by the developers of the accessed materials.
Use of Web Site Information
You may download, view, copy and print documents and graphics incorporated in these documents (the "Documents") from the Site subject to the following:
- The Documents may be used solely for personal, informational, non-commercial and non-clinical purposes.
- The Documents may not be modified or altered in any way. Except where your use constitutes "fair use" under copyright law, you may not otherwise use, download, upload, copy, print, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, post, transmit or distribute any information from this Web site in whole or in part without the express authorization of The National Center for Biomedical Ontology.
Use of Ontologies
In general, any ontology submitted to The National Center for Biomedical Ontology and uploaded into BioPortal will be freely available for public use. If users use ontologies with restricted licensing, NCBO assumes that the enduser who access that content is in possession of appropriate licenses. All content will be indexed and made available for search and visualization to all BioPortal users worldwide. BioPortal may provide a Universal Resource Identifier for each class within an ontology to enable them to be referenced in semantic Web applications. Only the submitter of the ontology (either an individual or organization who is the authorized owner of the ontology content) will be able to modify it or submit new versions. The ontologies provided by the Center may be used without restriction provided that their origin is acknowledged and their content is not altered, or, if their content is altered, that they are not distributed under the same name.
Use of SNOMED Clinical Terms®
NCBO BioPortal includes SNOMED Clinical Terms® (SNOMED CT®) which is used by permission of the International Health Terminology Standards Development Organization (IHTSDO). All rights reserved. SNOMED CT® was originally created by the College of American Pathologists. “SNOMED”, “SNOMED CT” and “SNOMED Clinical Terms” are registered trademarks of the IHTSDO (www.ihtsdo.org).
Use of SNOMED CT in NCBO BioPortal is governed by the conditions of the following SNOMED CT Sub-license issued by The National Center for Biomedical Ontology
The meaning of the terms “Affiliate”, or “Data Analysis System”, “Data Creation System”, “Derivative”, “End User”, “Extension”, “Member”, “Non-Member Territory”, “SNOMED CT” and “SNOMED CT Content” are as defined in the IHTSDO Affiliate License Agreement (see www.ihtsdo.org/license.pdf).
Information about Affiliate Licensing is available at www.ihtsdo.org/license. Individuals or organizations wishing to register as IHTSDO Affiliates can register at www.ihtsdo.org/salsa, subject to acceptance of the Affiliate License Agreement (see www.ihtsdo.org/license.pdf).
The current list of IHTSDO Member Territories can be viewed at www.ihtsdo.org/members. Countries not included in that list are “Non-Member Territories”.
End Users, that do not hold an IHTSDO Affiliate License, may access SNOMED CT® using NCBO BioPortal subject to acceptance of and adherence to the following sub-license limitations:
- The sub-licensee is only permitted to access SNOMED CT® using this software (or service) for the purpose of exploring and evaluating the terminology. 2, The sub-licensee is not permitted the use of this software as part of a system that constitutes a SNOMED CT “Data Creation System” or “Data Analysis System”, as defined in the IHTSDO Affiliate License. This means that the sub-licensee must not use NCBO BioPortal to add or copy SNOMED CT identifiers into any type of record system, database or document.
- The sub-licensee is not permitted to translate or modify SNOMED CT Content or Derivatives.
- The sub-licensee is not permitted to distribute or share SNOMED CT Content or Derivatives.
IHTSDO Affiliates may use NCBO BioPortal as part of a “Data Creation System” or “Data Analysis System” subject to the following conditions:
- The IHTSDO Affiliate, using NCBO BioPortal must accept full responsibility for any reporting and fees due for use or deployment of such a system in a Non-Member Territory.
- The IHTSDO Affiliate must not use NCBO BioPortal to access or interact with SNOMED CT in any way that not permitted by the Affiliate License Agreement.
- In the event of termination of the Affiliate License Agreement, the use of NCBO BioPortal will be subject to the End User limitations noted in 4.
Use of Software
Use of Documents and Publications on the Site
Except as expressly prohibited on the Site, you are permitted to view, copy, print and distribute publications and documents within this Site, subject to your agreement that:
- Your use of the information is for informational, personal, and non-commercial purposes only
- You will not modify the documents, publications or graphics
- You will not copy or distribute graphics separate from their accompanying text and you will not quote materials out of their context
- You will display the copyright notice and other proprietary notices pertaining to the individual ontologies if you redistribute or use them
Use of Forums and Public Communication
"Forum" means a discussion group, chat area, bulletin board, news group, letter to The National Center for Biomedical Ontology, its staff or associates, or e-mail function offered as part of the Site. You agree not to upload, email, post, publish or otherwise transmit through a Forum any content that:
- Is false or misleading
- Is defamatory
- Is harassing or invades another's privacy, or promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual
- Is obscene
- Infringes another's rights, including but not limited to intellectual property rights
- Constitutes unsolicited bulk e-mail, "junk mail," "spam" or chain letters
- Violates any applicable laws or regulations.
Forums shall be used in a non-commercial manner only.
You shall not distribute or otherwise publish any content containing a solicitation of funds, promotion, advertising, solicitation for goods or services, or other commercial matter. You agree not to solicit other users of the Site to use or join or become members of any commercial online or offline service or other organization. Except where expressly authorized by The National Center for Biomedical Ontology, you agree not to collect or store personal data about other users. By uploading, emailing, posting, publishing or otherwise transmitting content to any Forum or submitting any content to The National Center for Biomedical Ontology, you automatically grant (or warrant that the owner of such rights has expressly granted) The National Center for Biomedical Ontology a perpetual, royalty-free, irrevocable, nonexclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, transmit and distribute such content on in any form, medium, or technology now known or later developed. In addition, you warrant that all so-called moral rights in the content have been waived.
To make a submission of any copyrighted material to the site you must either be the copyright owner or have the explicit permission of the copyright owner to do so.
Passwords and Security
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of any password(s) you are given to access the Site, and are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your password(s). You agree to notify The National Center for Biomedical Ontology immediately of any unauthorized use of your password(s). The National Center for Biomedical Ontology is concerned about the security of personal information we have collected from you and has taken reasonable steps to prevent unauthorized access to that information.
Termination of Use
Third Party Web Sites, Content, Products and Services
The Site provides links to Web sites and access to content, products and services from third parties, including users, advertisers, affiliates and sponsors of the Site. You agree that The National Center for Biomedical Ontology is not responsible for the availability of, and content provided on, third party Web sites. You should refer to the policies posted by other Web sites regarding privacy and other topics before you use them. You agree that The National Center for Biomedical Ontology is not responsible for third party content accessible through the Site, including opinions, advice, statements and advertisements, and understand that you bear all risks associated with the use of such content. If you choose to purchase any products or services from a third party, your relationship is directly with the third party. You agree that The National Center for Biomedical Ontology is not responsible for:
- The quality of third party products or services
- Fulfilling any of the terms of your agreement with the seller, including delivery of products or services and warranty obligations related to purchased products or services
You agree that The National Center for Biomedical Ontology is not responsible for any loss or damage of any sort you may incur from dealing with any third party.
DMCA Notice/ Takedown Procedure
The National Center for Biomedical Ontology abides by the federal Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) by responding to notices of alleged infringement that comply with the DMCA and other applicable laws. As part of our response, we may remove or disable access to material residing on a site that is controlled or operated by National Center for Biomedical Ontology that is claimed to be infringing, in which case we will make a good-faith attempt to contact the person who submitted the affected material so that they may make a counter notification, also in accordance with the DMCA. More
Medical/Clinical Use Disclaimer
Materials on this Site have not necessarily been reviewed or approved by the Food and Drug Administration. All materials on this Site are provided for informational and review purposes. It is not intended to and does not in any way substitute for professional medical advice.
The materials should not be relied upon for medical diagnosis or treatment, nor should you disregard the advice of your physical or other health care provider or delay seeking such advice due to anything you have read on or accessed through the Site. The National Center for Biomedical Ontology assumes no responsibility for any injury and/or damage to person(s) or property as a matter of products and/or services liability, negligence or otherwise, or from any use or operation of any methods, products, service, instruction or ideas contained in the material provided by the Site.
EXCEPT WHERE EXPRESSLY PROVIDED OTHERWISE, THE SITE, AND ALL CONTENT, MATERIALS, INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, PRODUCTS AND SERVICES PROVIDED ON THE SITE, ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. THE NATIONAL CENTER FOR BIOMEDICAL ONTOLOGY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. THE NATIONAL CENTER FOR BIOMEDICAL ONTOLOGY MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT:
- THE SITE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS
- THE SITE WILL BE AVAILABLE ON AN UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE BASIS (though NCBO will undertake best-efforts to ensure continual uptime and availability of its ontology content)
- THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE USE OF THE SITE OR ANY SERVICES OFFERED THROUGH THE SITE WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE
- THE QUALITY OF ANY PRODUCTS, SERVICES, INFORMATION, OR OTHER MATERIAL PURCHASED OR OBTAINED BY YOU THROUGH THE SITE WILL MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS
ANY CONTENT, MATERIALS, INFORMATION OR SOFTWARE DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE SITE IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK. THE NATIONAL CENTER FOR BIOMEDICAL ONTOLOGY SHALL HAVE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY CONTENT, MATERIALS, INFORMATION OR SOFTWARE. THE NATIONAL CENTER FOR BIOMEDICAL ONTOLOGY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MAKE CHANGES OR UPDATES TO THE SITE AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE.
Limitation of Liability
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE NATIONAL CENTER FOR BIOMEDICAL ONTOLOGY BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, OR DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, REVENUE, DATA OR USE, INCURRED BY YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION IN CONTRACT OR TORT, ARISING FROM YOUR ACCESS TO, OR USE OF, THE SITE. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY. ACCORDINGLY, SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless The National Center of Biomedical Ontology, its staff and associates, from and against any and all claims, liabilities, damages, losses or expenses, including reasonable attorneys' fees and costs, arising out of or in any way connected with your access to or use of the Site.